Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling

I know I wrote in a previous blog about this series and how everyone should read it. However, since I have just re-read them again in their entirety, I feel like I needed to make a post about it. I shall, sum each book and my thoughts. In the interest of not boring the reader or myself, I will try and brief.

Harry Potter and the Sorceress Stone  - 
In this first installment we meet Harry Potter and learn of his mysterious beginnings and  the strange truth about who he is. He goes from being an 'ordinary' boy to a wizard over night. He goes from friendless to meeting some of the best friends anyone could ever hope for. He goes from not knowing his parents, to learning of their heroics. Its a startling beginning to a wonderful, enriching series. 

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 
This book brings with it more adventure, more lies and more truth. Harry and his friends must uncover who or what is behind all the strange things going on in Hogwarts, or someone they love will get blamed for and maybe even, the only place that Harry has ever truly felt home, will close for good. 

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 
In this story Harry meets on of the most important people he will meet in their series. He learns more of his fathers amazing past, learns to fight his fears, and save a few lives in the process. He learns that who he thought was enemy is friend and who he thought was friend is foe.

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire - 
The four book, while not on of my favorites, is  one of the most important. The thing that must never happen, happens. Also this book marks the first death. Perhaps one of the hardest, since we went four years with out one. Harry faces more tasks, more fears, more challenges, with the help from friends. He enters the final task of the triwizard tournament with ideas of wining, he exits, with terrible news and fallen friend. 

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 
Voldermont has arisen, he has grand plans of over taking the wizarding world, killing Harry Potter, and finally ruling over all muggles. But first he needs something, something he didn't have before. He will stop at nothing to retrieve it. Unfortunately, Harry now is linked to Voldy through his scar. He dreams of hallways and doors. He is frustrated that no one will let him fight, he is angry that the ministry doesn't believe him. His temper and his defiance get him into much trouble over the course of the year, but nothing prepares him for the final battle and the loss of another friend. 

Harry Potter and the half blood prince - 
Before I start the analyse, I actually threw this book across the room the first time I read it. Not believing what I was reading. That being said. 
This book finds Harry alone, scared. Finally the wizarding world knows Voldy is back, but at what cost? He feels angry, depressed, guilty. Still there is still fight in him, and because of that he purses his ambitions of being coming an Auror. He also gets special lessons from Dumbledore and digs so much deeper into the history and man known as Tom Riddle. Knowledge that will hopefully help destroy him. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 
The seventh and final installment of Harry Potter, here it all ends. This book is by far the darkest. There are deaths in this book that I couldn't believe. It seem to me that J.K was just finishing off anyone she could. It was hard to read. People you have grown to know through seven books, just dying. All of them senseless. The final battle is fought, as perhaps it was always meant to be fought, at Hogwarts. Here Harry and everyone else make their final stand against evil. 

To say that this is a good series is an understatement. I have said it before and I will say it again. This is a phenomenal series, woven in such rich detail, by a masterful storyteller. Any child say ten or over that is struggling with wanting to read should pick this up. I feel this is a 'gateway' book to other books. It is so wonderful to escape into his world. To live through him, and his friends. I remember reading it the first time and so wishing that something like this did exist. Imagine a world of magic, living right along side us. What an amazing thought. (and I still haven't lost hope that there isn't) I think everyone should read this. I don't think it should be banned (as I know it is in some schools) I don't think any book should be banned but that is another post. 
Enjoy Harry, let him into your life and heart. You won't be disappointed  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment