Monday, May 30, 2011

Delirium - Lauren Oliver

"And so it goes Till the day you die This thing they call love It's gonna make you cry" ~ J. Geils Band 

"Love hurts, love scars, love wounds and marks Any heart not tough or strong enough To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain" ~Nazareth 

...and probably a thousand other songs, poems, stories, paintings dedicated to the very pain that love can cause. It does hurt. It down right sucks. You feel like you can fly, like there is nothing in this world that can bring you down, when you are in love. When you are in love, the person you are with makes you feel like there is no one else. When they leave (or you leave), the pain is close to unbearable. The future is bleak. Things that held joy no longer do. Ask anyone who has loved and lost and they will mostly likely say, "better to have love and lost then to have never have loved at all." I agree. I have loved with everything I have, and I have lost myself in that love and in turn, lost myself when that love ended. I have mourned over futures that would not happen. I can't imagine a world without love. That is what Delirium is. Its set in a world where we have "cured" love. Where people no longer have to worry about that evil virus love. Its not spoken. People marry according to their statitistics not feelings. Mothers and fathers care for the children in a respectable distant way. No hugs, no kisses. 

This entire book made me angry. From the first page to the last. I couldn't bear to read one more sentence and then the book was over and I couldn't bear to turn the cover. I fell in love with the characters. I loved the writing style, I loved the idea. I think anyone who has an interest in dystopian future books would greatly enjoy this book. It didn't focus on the government or society and 'beating' it, it was more two people, who found love, in a forbidden world and how there really is no going back, once you no longer own your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment