Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

I am going to go ahead an admit something shallow here, I passed this book up many times because of the cover. I would see it almost every time I went to borders and NEVER consider it. One time I think I picked it up and looked at the back and that turned me off more. "In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them to all send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV"-Back cover of The Hunger games...

Okay this might sound super fun to some people, but to me I was disgusted. Fast forward a few months and I am reading through some 'end of the world' blogs and books suggestions and this one, damn it all, keep popping up! Everyone raving how awesome it was, and how they couldn't put it down. Then I saw what did me and had me reserving at the library, Stephen King, the master of horror himself, said and I quote him here "A violent, jarring, speed-rap of a novel that generates nearly constant suspense. I couldn't stop reading" - Stephen King Entertainment Weekly

Yeah okay so now I had to read it. That all being said, this is going down as one of my favorite books. I loved it, and can not wait to get my hands on the next two. I loved everything from friendship to enemies to the raw need of survival to the warmth and comfort of home. Every single thing about this book was amazing. The details were stunning, the emotions were compelling, the speed in which the book flowed was astounding. I could not put it down and even now am thinking of wanting to re-read it. (I know this is going to have to be added to my library!)

Read it, enjoy it, buy it and read it again. This book was amazing. It goes to prove to me again, that you can't judge a book by its cover.

1 comment:

  1. I am such a cover judger. I will have to check it out though; maybe if they do a reprint the cover will look cooler hahaha

    ReplyDelete